Once home to the semi-mythological hero known as Sinbad the Sailor and an important port for hundreds of years, Sohar is now predominately known for its idyllic beaches and picturesque countryside. The recent development of new port facilities has given the city a new lease of life, turning it from a sleepy town to an economically important city in which visitors are made to feel more than welcome.
Whether you want to spend your time lounging on the sand, learning to scuba dive, driving 4x4s through the desert, or eating at one of the many high-end waterside restaurants, Sohar has it all. With a package holiday to Sohar with Qatar Airways Holidays, you can discover this little slice of paradise in absolute style and luxury.
- Explore Sohar’s impressive fort and learn a little of the city’s incredible history. Built by Portuguese colonists in the 13th Century, these imposing fortifications are one of Sohar’s biggest tourist attractions.
- Shop your way around the colourful stalls of the Muttrah Souk – the city’s buzzing marketplace. Here, you can spend hours hunting through treasures, sampling local snacks, and enjoying the amazing array of products on display.
- Sohar is perhaps most famous for its long stretches of unspoilt coastline and perfect beaches. Ideal for anyone that enjoys kicking back and relaxing or taking part in a variety of water sports, Sohar’s golden sands are some of the finest in the region.
- Drive out to Wadi Bani Awf, where you’ll discover several picturesque villages, the famous Snake Canyon, exhilarating mountain landscapes, and ample trekking opportunities.
Sohar Holiday Packages
With holiday packages to Sohar with Qatar Airways Holidays, you can expect to stay in the finest accommodation available and receive the highest standards of service. Hotels are picked for their style, comfort and luxury, and are guaranteed to be the perfect place to relax and unwind at the end of the day.
Our culinary packages to Sohar also allow you to experience the best food Omani cuisine has to offer. Try Sohar’s fabulous fresh fish, sample the exquisitely spiced shuwaa, and top it all off with a refreshing local tea. Whatever your preference in food, there’s something that will appeal to everyone in Sohar.
Good to know
240V 50 Hz
Sohar experiences a desert climate. Summers are generally very hot and almost always dry. Between May and August, temperatures can often exceed 40°C. Winters are cooler, with temperatures ranging from 12°C and 25°C. Nearly all of the region’s rain falls in the months of February and March. Due to the high temperatures during summer, late spring and autumn are the most popular times to visit the city.
Sohar Holidays Experiences
- Try your hand at scuba diving on some of the world’s premier dive sites. The Sawadi Islands are one of Oman’s best-kept secrets and an underwater paradise for anyone keen to encounter exotic wildlife.
- Oman’s capital, Muscat, is just a 2-hour drive from Sohar, making it within easy reach of those looking to get away for a day or two. Known for being a laid-back city with plenty to see and do, a visit can be the perfect way to break up your holiday.
- Head out of the city and experience the thrill of camel racing. Still a popular pastime among rural communities, there’s plenty of opportunities for visitors to catch a race or two.
- Organise a tour of the surrounding Wahiba Desert and watch the sunset over enormous sand dunes, sit down for a cup of coffee with local tribesmen, and race your 4x4 through the expansive wilderness.