Zagreb has many things to offer a traveller from culture, architecture, gastronomy and arts – it’s no surprise that this capital city is quickly becoming a favourite destination for travellers. A cultural and religious epicentre for hundreds of years, Zagreb today manages to maintain a balance between old and new. Package holidays to Zagreb with Qatar Airways Holidays takes you on a city break to a destination you may not have thought of before but will be glad you discovered.
- Take a guided tour of the city on a bicycle with Blue Bike tours – a great way to see more of the city in a short 2½ hour tour through quiet back streets and along cycle paths.
- Book your holiday to Zagreb in January to watch the Snow Queen Trophy skiing race, one of the most important stops on the world slalom series, or go skiing yourself on the superb slopes of Mount Sljeme.
- Head up into the mountains to explore the preserved fortress of Medvedgrad, which often holds historical festivals throughout the year.
- Take a walk around the Mimara Museum, which is crammed full of over 3,700 works of art and 1,500 exhibits including paintings by the Dutch Masters Rubens and Van Dyck, as well as Gainsborough, Turner and Renoir.
- Relax in the recreational park surrounding Lake Jarun in the south of the city, where you can try your hand at windsurfing, rowing, or simply laze on the shingle beaches and enjoy the sunshine.
Zagreb Holiday Packages
Zagreb has been a prominent city for over a thousand years and has managed to maintain its historical layout. Today it has a fascinating mix of old and not quite so old that embraces everything from Early Gothic through to modern era Communist-inspired architecture. At the very heart of the city lies the Gornji grad and Donji grad (or Upper and Lower Towns), filled with fascinating architecture and some excellent restaurants that are well worth seeking out.
Shopping in Zagreb is fun, and the city has designated areas or ‘Placs’ where you can buy and barter everything from vintage clothes to perfume and souvenirs. Zagreb has a rich café culture, and there are plenty of small cafés selling excellent coffee and pastries around the main squares of the Old town. Culinary packages will give you a chance to explore the traditional Croatian cuisine of the region, including the city’s obsession with pancakes!
Good to know
GMT+1 hour, Summer GMT+2 hours
Zagreb Holidays Experiences
- Immerse yourself in Zagreb’s history in a unique way by taking part in an Escape Room adventure, where you solve puzzles and clues based on Croatian history and culture to escape from a locked room within an hour.
- Take a trip to the Museum of Broken Relationships, which exhibits lost love letters and tokens from all around the world.
- Head to the Bundek Lake, which plays host to shows, events and concerts all through the summer and is equally popular with both locals and tourists. A family-friendly spot that’s a great location for a picnic while watching the firework festivals, concerts, and live music shows.
- Lace up your walking boots and hit the trails that take you to the summit of Mount Medvednica, and reward yourself with a coffee or meal at the summit as you watch the sunset over Zagreb.