Dar es Salaam Holidays
Dar es Salaam Holidays,Tanzania
What was once a sleepy fishing village has now grown into an exciting city and one of Tanzania's most popular holiday hotspots. Having spent some time as the county's capital, Dar es Salaam now holds the coveted position of Tanzania's hub of commerce and culture, and lives up to the translation of its name, the 'Haven of Peace'. Among the traditional African, Arabic and Indian architecture and the modern tower-blocks, you'll find this city to be incredibly laid back and sedate. Blessed with sand-bleached beaches and boasting a wealth of attractions, there's plenty to see and do.
Package holidays to Dar es Salaam with Qatar Airways Holidays are a superb way to get to know a city where the welcome is as warm as the weather.
- For a dip into Tanzania’s historical and cultural past, pay a visit to the National Museum of Dar es Salaam. Here, you’ll find an eclectic range of exhibits, from fascinating fossils to fully-functioning bicycles fashioned completely from wood.
- Pugu Hills Nature Reserve is ideal for anyone with an interest in exploring the local wildlife. Located about 25km from the centre of the city, it’s a sprawling oasis of lush greenery, scored with hiking trails for walkers of all abilities. Watch flocks of flamboyantly coloured birds, or head into the park’s caves and see colonies of bats.
- While there are plenty of beaches in Dar es Salaam, they don’t get much more fun than Coco Beach. Fringed with palms and lapped by turquoise-blue waters, this is where the locals gather to have a bite at a snack-shack or listen to live ‘bongo flava’ – a form of music native to Tanzania.
- A trip to the Village Museum gives you the chance to explore traditional Tanzanian huts and learn about the tribes that inhabit this part of Africa.
Dar Es Salaam Holiday Packages
With a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere and beautiful, sun-bleached beaches, package holidays to Dar es Salaam with Qatar Airways Holidays are the perfect way to unwind. However, there’s much more to this city than beach holidays. Shoppers will find an astonishing range of venues in which to buy trinkets, luxury goods and souvenirs, and there are plenty of attractions for younger visitors. You’ll find some exceptional hotels offering luxurious accommodation for anyone taking their holiday packages to Dar es Salaam with Qatar Airways Holidays.
The city’s cuisine is a fragrant mix of Arabic, Indian and African influences. Culinary packages to Dar es Salaam are a superb way to ensure you don’t miss any of the gastronomic highlights. Look out for spicy gajjar chicken and curries sold at the beachside shacks, or enjoy an exquisite meal served in elegant surroundings at some of the city’s best restaurants.
Good to know
The dry season falls between May and October when the temperatures start out in the high twenties degrees celsius. It peaks in the high thirties between June and August.
Dar es Salaam Holidays Experiences
- If you enjoy a spot of retail therapy, be sure to set some time aside for Kariakoo Market. A hustling, bustling market, you’ll find a wealth of clothes, jewellery and local crafts.
- For a market of a completely different sort, make your way to the Dar es Salaam Fish Market. Even if you’re not buying, it’s fascinating to watch the high-speed fish auctions taking place; one of the few occasions in which you’ll see the normally laid-back locals become really animated.
- If you need some entertainment for younger visitors, Funcity is the place to go. The only water park in East Africa, you’ll find over 30 rides and slides set in more than 40 hectares of well-maintained gardens.
- Mwenge Wood Carvers’ Village offers the chance to buy handmade, wooden gifts and souvenirs and watch them being created.