Sweden’s second-largest city sits on the west coast of the Göta River. It has a reputation as an incredibly friendly place, where the principle of ‘Hügge’ (which has no literal translation but basically means getting together with friends and enjoying their company) has been widely adopted from neighbouring Denmark. The city was founded in 1621, although there’s evidence of habitation stretching back over thousands of years. It’s filled with beautiful buildings, a luxury harbour known as the Guest Harbour, and plenty of green open spaces.
Book a package holiday to Gothenburg with Qatar Airways Holidays and you’ll instantly fall in love with this relaxed, friendly northern European city. Its charming café culture and clean, safe streets make it a real pleasure to stroll around on a sunny summer’s day, while the winter season sees the streets turn into snow-covered wonderlands, making Gothenburg perfect for a family holiday at any time of year.
- Visit the Kansen Kronan or Crown Keep – this hilltop fort is an imposing building that’s gone from being a fortification in the 17th century to a prison, and today is a restaurant. Head to its sister keep Skansen Lejonet on the first and third Sunday each month for a guided tour.
- Tour some of the city’s best museums, including the Gothenburg Art Museum, the City Museum, and the innovative Universeum, home to a variety of exhibitions including a rainforest area with live birds and two space exploration exhibition areas.
- Relax in the wide-open spaces of Slottsskogen garden, which is close to the city’s Botanical garden and full of family-friendly attractions, including mini-golf, a zoo, an observatory, and Barnen’s Zoo.
- Head to Liseberg, Scandinavia’s largest amusement park, which also houses one of the country’s largest and oldest wooden roller coasters.
- See a replica of the Swedish ship Götheborg, a reconstruction of an 18th-century Swedish East India Company ship.
Gothenburg Holiday Packages
Holiday packages to Gothenburg with Qatar Airways Holidays introduces you to the laid-back Scandinavian lifestyle of one of Sweden’s friendliest and most interesting cities. Filled with historic buildings, amazing museums, and cultural hot spots, it’s the perfect destination for a summer break with a difference. Gothenburg’s hotels provide you with refined luxury and understated style that’s so typically Swedish, but with a warmth and friendliness that makes you feel welcome from the moment you land.
Good to know
GMT+1 hour , Summer GMT+2 hours
The summer months from June to August are the warmest, with temperatures ranging from 16 to 21°C, although temperatures have been known to climb into the low 30s °C during the hottest summers. From September, the temperature falls rapidly from around 15°C down to below zero-°C during December, January and February.
Gothenburg Holidays Experiences
- See Gothenburg from a different perspective by taking one of the many boat tours that run through the city’s many canals and around the harbour. Tours to the Southern Archipelago are particularly popular and take you to the islands offshore.
- The Lisebergslinjen vintage tram line runs during the summer and is a fascinating way to travel around the city.
- Take a private Gothenburg By Night photography tour and capture some of the best shots of the city in all its night-time glory.
- January sees the Goteborg International Film Festival, one of northern Europe’s most important movie festivals that celebrates a wide range of genres, from Arthouse to independent film-makers.
- In March, Gothenburg is home to one of Europe’s largest book sales, the Bokrean, where you can buy everything from the very latest best-sellers to rare First Editions.