Set on the banks of the Red River, Hanoi is an exciting and busy city, where you’ll encounter the unexpected at every turn. Buzzing scooters weave through a tangle of backstreets, past time-worn pagodas and groups of people practising tai-chi in well-maintained parks. The smell of cooking is never far away; the aroma of street food and restaurant kitchens giving the air an exotic tang. Surprisingly low-rise, the skyline is a fabulous jumble of ancient and modern: the ornate buildings of the Old Quarter rubbing shoulders with more recent constructions. You’ll even find evidence of Hanoi’s occupied past, in the European-style Architecture of the French Quarter.
Package holidays to Hanoi with Qatar Airways Holidays are an excellent way to discover the hidden gems and surprises that this graceful city has tucked away.
- For a break from Hanoi’s hustle and bustle, take a trip to Hoan Kiem Lake. Tranquil and serene, the lake surrounds the Ngoc Son pagoda, which stands on a little island at the lake’s centre.
- For a dip into the city’s cultural past, catch a show at the Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre. A traditional Vietnamese art form the puppeteers operate their puppets from a pond or purpose-built pool.
- Hanoi’s answer to Notre Dame, the Nha Tho Cathedral is an unexpected piece of Gothic architecture, complete with towering spires and elaborate arches.
- The Old Quarter is a vibrant mix of old, colonial buildings and traditional Vietnamese architecture. You’ll find the narrow, winding streets littered with street traders, selling local produce and arts and crafts and small, diner-style restaurants selling freshly-cooked takeaway meals.
Hanoi Holiday Packages
Despite the increasing number of tourists as Hanoi becomes more prominent on the tourist trail, the city remains relatively unchanged. Hanoi is a family-friendly city and there are plenty of attractions for younger visitors. Shoppers will find themselves spoilt for choice, with everything from crowded and exciting markets to sleek, laid-back shopping malls. If you’re looking for the best in accommodation on your package holidays to Hanoi with Qatar Airways Holidays, you’ll find a good selection of luxurious hotels within easy access of some of the local attractions.
Vietnamese cuisine has become popular across the world, but there’s no better place to enjoy it than from its source. Culinary packages to Hanoi will give you the chance to try everything from a heart-warming bowl of pho dished up from a side-street diner to exquisite and exotic dinners served in ornate and elegant restaurants.
Good to know
Vietnamese with English spoken in main tourist areas
Hanoi Holidays Experiences
- The Ho Tay Water Park is a fun-filled day out for those travelling with the whole family. Packed with rides and slides for youngsters and high-diving platforms and zip lines for older visitors, it’s the perfect place to cool off.
- To explore Hanoi’s cultural history, take some time to explore the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology. Set in beautiful grounds the museum offers collections of exhibits to represent the various cultures that have called this city home.
- Holiday packages to Hanoi just wouldn’t be complete without a visit to a traditional Vietnamese market. Set over four floors, Dong Xuan Market is the city’s largest covered market, offering everything from authentic clothes and leather luggage to delicate jewellery and handmade goods.