Cochin, also known as Kochi is renowned as the ‘Queen of the Arabian Sea’. Cochin is best described as a tightly-packed series of islands. Divided by lakes, tributaries and inland waterways, the city of Cochin is divided up into distinct districts, each with its own unique character. Explore the old colonial charms of Fort Cochin, the sleek, sky-scraper skyline of the city’s commercial centre of Ernakulam, or hit the beautiful beaches on the ever-popular Vypeen Island. With just over half a million inhabitants, Cochin never feels crowded, and the locals are famous for extending a warm welcome to visitors.
Package holidays to Cochin with Qatar Airways Holidays are the ideal way to familiarise yourself with this exceptional part of India’s Kerala region.
- Although not a fort, Fort Cochin is the collective name for the remains of Cochin’s fortified past. This small network of streets houses the impressive Mattancherry Palace. On the coastal tip of Fort Cochin, you’ll find an array of distinctive Chinese fishing nets. You can try your luck at fishing the traditional way, and fishermen will even cook up your catch for a small fee.
- For a huge selection of shops head to Jew Town. This is where Cochin's spice-trading past is most evident, with many of the old warehouses still selling perfumed and aromatic spices and herbs. You'll also find plenty of antiques, and street stalls selling handmade clothing and arts and crafts.
- To find out more about the local culture, head to the outskirts of Cochin to the Kerala Folklore Museum. Packed with artefacts the entire collection is housed in an authentic wooden palace.
- Catch the ferry from Fort Cochin and prepare for a day of lounging around on powder-soft sand with a visit to Vypeen Island.
Kochi Holiday Packages
While Cochin has become an increasingly popular holiday destination in recent years, it has retained much of its original charm. With each district offering a different aspect of Keralan life, there’s a lot to see and do. Catch a ferry between districts and enjoy everything from the old-school European character of Fort Cochin. Sip a traditional ginger tea in a backstreet café in Ernakulam, or travel further afield to explore the natural splendour of the Periyar National Park. Wherever you stay in this patchwork city, there are some exceptional hotels, providing a touch of luxury to anyone taking their package holidays to Cochin with Qatar Airways Holidays.
With fresh fish, exotic vegetables and a bounty of herbs and spices, the cuisine is exciting and delicious. Culinary packages to Cochin are the best way to enjoy everything from simple street food to contemporary fusion food served in stunning restaurants. Be sure to try a traditional Kerala thali.
Good to know
220-230V 50 Hz
Between September and November, the climate is cool enough for sightseeing, with temperatures of around 27°C. Between March and May, things start to warm up, with temperatures climbing into the high 30s °C.
Kochi Holidays Experiences
- If you’re travelling with children and need to provide some entertainmen, look out for the Wonderla Amusement Park. While it’s aimed at younger visitors, there are enough rides, slides and attractions for people of all ages.
- The Chottanikkara Temple is about 17km from Cochin and is one of the most important in the Kerala region. Set in stunning and tranquil surroundings, it offers beautiful architecture and a chance to see the spiritual aspect of the Kerala region in action.
- Experience traditional Keralan life on the waterways, with a day-trip on an authentic houseboat.
- Subhash Park is a well-maintained public garden and the perfect spot for a picnic. With a children’s playground, it’s ideal for the whole family. Visit in the evening, and the park is alight with lanterns, making it a sublimely romantic location from where to watch the sun go down.