Punjab's largest city and home to the shimmering beauty of the Golden Temple, Amritsar is famed as being one of the friendliest cities in India. Vibrant and colourful, Amritsar offers plenty to discover for intrepid explorers. You'll find ruined forts, fascinating museums, characterful markets and buzzing bazaars, all linked by a labyrinth of backstreets and roads. For those who want to immerse themselves in the local culture there is also a bounty of specialist sites to visit such as the Khair-ud-Din Masjid mosque and the Hanuman Mandir.
Package holidays to Amritsar with Qatar Airways Holidays will introduce you to a city that is a feast for the senses. It's also popular with food lovers, with delicious street food on offer at every corner and superb restaurants for a special evening meal.
- Visit the world-famous Golden Temple. One of the holiest sites in the Sikh religion, it throws its doors open to visitors of all faiths, who come to admire the stunning architecture.
- Set in lush gardens and with a magnificent courtyard, Khalsa College is a must-see for anyone travelling to Amritsar. The architecture is said to be some of the best in the region.
- Head to the Wagah Border to catch the daily 'Beating the Retreat' ceremony. Symbolising the continuing cooperation between India and Pakistan the ritual is a spectacular parade from soldiers of both nations, ending in a handshake and the simultaneous lowering of each country's flag.
- Give yourself a few hours to visit the Gobindgarh Fort. In addition to the breath-taking building itself, you’ll be treated to traditional folk dancing, live music and stunning laser shows.
Amritsar Holiday Packages
One of the most popular destinations in India, the city has managed to retain its original charm, evident in the winding streets, beautiful architecture, and bustling markets. If you're taking your package holiday to Amritsar with the whole family, you'll find plenty of family attractions to keep younger visitors happy, such as water parks and theme parks. For those who want to enjoy a slice of the high life there are some excellent and luxurious hotels from which to explore this kaleidoscopic city.
Widely hailed as the 'Food Capital of Punjab', Amritsar is ideal for those who like to sample the local cuisine. Culinary packages to Amritsar will see you trying everything from kulcha bread served on the roadside, to elegant and elaborate meals served in beautiful restaurants.
Good to know
Punjabi, Hindi, English
220-230V 50 Hz
For sightseeing, the best time to take your holiday packages to Amritsar is between November and March, when the temperature is in the mid-to-high 20s°C. Between April and July, temperatures leap into the mid-30s°C peaking at around 40°C.
Amritsar Holidays Experiences
- Head to the Golden Temple in April to catch the sights, sounds and smells of the Baisakhi Festival. Also known as the Vaisakhi Festival, you can expect the grounds around the temple to be transformed into a colourful carnival of dancing, live music and sizzling, spicy street food.
- If you've any shoppers in your group, there are plenty of bargains to be found in Amritsar's Old City. The narrow streets are lined with quirky shops and street-side stalls, selling everything from handmade goods and local produce to exotic jewellery and clothing.
- To see some of the local wildlife a visit to the Harike Wetland is a must. With lush greenery and vast lakes, you can expect to see a variety of spectacular birds, as well as turtles, frogs, and shimmering fish.