At first sight, Beijing appears to be a glittering, gleaming 21st-century megacity, but look closer and it doubles as the portal to Ancient China and the accompanying five millennia's worth of imperial history. A cultural collision of antiquity and the contemporary, Beijing is a city full of surprises. Book a package holiday to Beijing with Qatar Airways Holidays, and you could be exploring wonders such as the Great Wall of China, the historic Tiananmen Square and the astonishing Forbidden City or looking for bargains in the Sanlitun Village Shops and searching for hidden treasures in the Panjiayuan Antiques Market.
If your children are travelling with you, then you'll find plenty to keep them entertained. A visit to the Happy Valley theme park or the Beijing Zoo are just some of the fun ways to enjoy some time together. With the historical vying with the modern and plenty to see and do, your package holiday to Beijing is a wonderful way to introduce yourself to China.
- Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Summer Palace is a tranquil and stunning place to explore. In addition to the Palaces themselves, you can relax in a sublimely serene setting with beautiful gardens and glassy lakes.
- Budding astronomers will appreciate a visit to the Beijing Planetarium where they can explore the safety of the cosmos.
- Whether your interests are spiritual or architectural, a visit to the historical and ornate Niujie Mosque ought to feature on your list of things to do. Covering 6000 square metres the Niujie Mosque is a fantastic fusion of Chinese tradition and Arabic decoration.
- To dip your toes into China's rich past make a trip to the Ming Tombs, at the base of the Tianzhu Mountain.
Beijing Holiday Packages
Beijing, located in northern China, is a popular destination for travellers. It's a city that combines both modern and traditional architecture - a megacity rich in history. There is plenty of Old China to enjoy, from the sights, sounds and smells of the bustling markets to the ancient temples that are tucked away in quiet squares. Those who want high-end shopping will find chic shopping centres, and food lovers will be rewarded with some of the most exciting cuisines on Earth.
To experience the city's gastronomic scene culinary packages are available to Beijing allowing you to sample everything from street food to delicate dishes served in elegant restaurants. When it comes to choosing where to stay, book a package holiday to Beijing with Qatar Airways Holidays, and you'll find there are plenty of options, whether you're looking for affordable to luxury five-star hotels.
Good to know
Chinese with English spoken in main tourist areas
Summers in Beijing are hot, while the winters are cold enough to bring heavy snow. For the best weather, book your package holiday to Beijing in the late spring or early autumn when temperatures hover in the mid-to-high twenties Celsius
Beijing Holidays Experiences
- For a market experience that's out of the ordinary look out for the Guanyuan Bird, Fish and Bug Market, where people come to sell and swap information about keeping exotic pets, such as birds, lizards, spiders and snakes.
- The most important date in the calendar is Chinese New Year which takes place between January and February. More colourful than you can imagine, you can expect street processions, elaborate puppet dragons, live music, and incredible firework displays.
- Sports fans will appreciate a visit to the Beijing Olympic Stadium which hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics. Visit in winter, and you'll find it transformed into an indoor ski-slope.
- Spend a day at the Capital Museum which holds artefacts and art that dates back almost 5,000 years.