An atmospheric mix of socialist architecture and Ottoman history, Sofia is a capital that’s quickly finding its feet as one of Europe’s most enchanting holiday destinations. Home to a vibrant and eclectic nightlife and surrounded by incredible natural beauty, Sofia manages to combine all the rewards of urban living with quick and easy access to the region’s luscious countryside. Whether you’re fascinated by its opulent Orthodox churches, want to learn a little more about the city’s Soviet history, or simply want to experience the resurgence of a dynamic cultural capital, Sofia is the place to be.
With a package holiday to Sofia with Qatar Airways Holidays, you’ll have the chance to explore every corner of this fascinating city.
- Take a tour of the breathtaking Aleksander Nevski Cathedral, one of Bulgaria’s most iconic landmarks. Built in commemoration of the 200,000 soldiers who died fighting for the country’s independence, this enormous cathedral is awe-inspiringly beautiful.
- Visit the National Palace of Culture, an incredible example of Communist-era architecture and home to many of the city’s most important cultural exhibitions, performances and events.
- Browse the stalls at Bitaka Flea Market, the largest bazaar in the capital. Here, you’ll find a huge array of local goods, ranging from foodstuffs to clothing, and everything in between.
- Make the most of the city’s excellent nightlife. Dine out at one of Sofia’s high-end restaurants, grab a bite to eat at a local taverna, enjoy a coffee at a curbside café, or head down to the ever-popular Swingin’ Hall music venue to listen to the best local bands around.
Sofia Holiday Packages
Having spent the day exploring the streets of Sofia, nothing sounds more appealing than returning to a luxurious hotel room and relaxing in style. Fortunately, with holiday packages to Sofia with Qatar Airways Holidays, you’ll have the opportunity to stay in one of the city’s finest hotels. We ensure that you’re always in the heart of the action, just a few minutes walk from the major attractions, and assure you’ll receive an excellent standard of service throughout your stay.
Our culinary packages to Sofia also allow you to experience the delicious local cuisine. A menu rich with feta cheese, hearty casseroles and fresh salads, Bulgarians enjoy a healthy diet that’s largely influenced by Ottoman and Slavic cooking.
Good to know
GMT+2 hours, Summer GMT+3 hours
Bulgarian, English, Russian
Sofia experiences a humid continental climate, in which winters are cold and snowy, while summers are generally warm, with greater rainfall in the season’s early months. Temperatures during this period often exceed 30°C. Spring and autumn are short transition seasons, in which the weather can be variable. This means late summer and early autumn are often considered the best times to visit.
Sofia Holidays Experiences
- Delve into the city’s booming art scene and discover how the city’s unique history has resulted in an individual and exciting artistic sensibility. Both the Museum of Socialist Art and Sofia Art Gallery are full to the brim with works by the nation’s finest artists.
- Head out of the city to the nearby Vitosha Mountain. In winter, the mountain is a popular winter sports destination. In the summer, it is famed for its excellent hiking and trekking opportunities.
- Catch a show at the National Opera and Ballet, one of Sofia’s most popular tourist attractions.
- Organise a day trip to the impressive Rila Monastery, a grand and architecturally spectacular building, just an hour from the city centre. The largest Orthodox monastery in the country, it’s one of Bulgaria’s most prized attractions.